Prepare your air conditioner for winter as the seasons change, now is the time to prepare your home for the cold weather ahead, including your air conditioner. Winterization helps keep your AC in good condition for next cooling season, while also protecting it against winter elements and moisture damage. Consider the following tips as part of your overall winter preparation strategy.
How to Prepare Your Air Conditioner for Winter
Get a head start on the next cooling season with these tips:
- Clean the condenser unit. Shut down the power to the condenser unit before starting.
- Vacuum debris from the exterior using a soft brush attachment and gently straighten any bent fins using gentle pressure from a butter knife.
- Unscrew the top grill and set it aside before carefully lifting out the fan without disconnecting or bending the wires.
- Remove any debris from the interior of the AC unit and gently clean surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Spray fins from the inside out with a garden hose using moderate pressure.
- Reinsert the fan, reattach the cover, and restore power when you are done.
Inspect for Strange Noises from the Compressor
Stand nearby while the AC is running to listen to any strange noises such as clunking, buzzing, or grinding which are signs you may need repair.
Change the Air Filter
A clean air filter helps to protect system components and improve the quality of your indoor air.
Clear the Area
Clear long grass and debris from the perimeter of the outdoor unit and trim trees, bushes, or foliage, leaving a three-foot clearance on all sides and above.
After its final use, place a specially designed AC cover over the unit, make sure that it fits rightly and not too tight to allow for ventilation which can prevent rust buildup and nesting by small animals. Regularly check on the unit throughout the winter months to secure the cover remains appropriately.
Call for Help
If you are unable or uncomfortable to perform any of these tips, you can call the professional HVAC technicians at EinsteinPros.
The Benefits of Air Conditioner Maintenance to Prepare your Air Conditioner for Winter
Professional routine maintenance and periodic homeowner maintenance are the two most significant influences on the efficiency, performance, and lifespan of your HVAC system. The benefits include:
- Increased Comfort: In an area where summers are long, hot, and humid, a functional well-maintained air conditioner is essential to control humidity and provide cooling relief. An air conditioner that is improperly installed or poorly maintained will struggle to keep your home and family comfortable.
- Lesser Repairs: As part of preventive maintenance, the HVAC technician will clean, inspect, and tune up your AC system. It enables us to detect small issues before they become a major, costly repairs.
- Lower Energy Costs: Routine maintenance helps increase the efficiency of your AC resulting in a reduced amount you spent to cool your home.
- Extended Equipment Lifespan: Properly maintained equipment has less stress and less wear and tear on parts, as well as lesser running hours than one which is neglected and dirty.
Heating and Cooling Maintenance
With weather keeps getting colder and colder, now is the perfect time to tune-up your heating system. Einstein Pros recommend scheduling maintenance to prepare your air conditioner for winter before you turn the heater on for the season.
You may want to check out our other plumbing articles: